Construction on the M40 project started in mid-November 2016 and is expected to take twelve months to complete, weather permitting.
There are two parts to the M40 project – the northern section and the southern section.
- The northern section extends from our Preston reservoirs to Regent Street, across High Street and along Robinson Road.
- The southern section extends from Oakover Road Preston to Arthurton Road Northcote, within the centre-median along St Georges Road.
Our normal hours of work are from 7am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. If required, work on Saturdays will be from 7am to 1pm. If we need to work out of these hours, you will be advised at the time.
We do not expect that there will be any interruption to your water supply during our work.
M40 interactive map
Our reinstatement masterplan
During the planning phase, we worked with numerous stakeholders, including Darebin City Council, to identify options for reinstating the centre-median once the pipeline work had been completed.
This plan considers the existing use, amenity, safety, and our requirement to construct a critical water supply asset.
M40 reinstatement plan
Why this project is important
This water main is a critical link in our distribution network. It supports the supply of drinking water to our retail customers (Yarra Valley Water and City West Water) and Melbourne’s CBD and inner suburbs.
In the past, there have been a number of significant leaks from the M40 water main.
On completion, this project will enable us to:
- continue to supply high quality, safe and reliable drinking water
- increase capacity within the supply network
- reduce water losses and disruption due to leaks.
This project contributes to Melbourne Water’s strategic vision of Enhancing Life and Liveability.