Learn more about upcoming activities
In late October we connected the new pipeline to our existing network. Thanks for your support and patience as we completed our pipeline construction work.
We still need to complete some reinstatement activities in both the northern section and in the southern section.
Construction of the new water main started in mid-November 2016 and was operational in late October 2017.
There are two parts to the M40 project – the northern section and the southern section.
- The northern section extends from our Preston reservoirs to Regent Street, across High Street and along Robinson Road.
- The southern section extends from Oakover Road Preston to Arthurton Road Northcote, within the centre-median along St Georges Road.
We still need to complete some reinstatement work in both sections of this project.
Why this project was important
The pipeline distribution network linked to our Preston Reservoirs supports the supply of drinking water to our retail customers (Yarra Valley Water and City West Water) and Melbourne’s CBD and inner suburbs.
In the past, there had been a number of significant leaks from the M40 water main. It was almost 100 years old and needed to be replaced.
This project has enabled us to:
- continue to supply high quality, safe and reliable drinking water
- increase capacity within the supply network
- reduce water losses and disruption due to leaks.
This project contributes to Melbourne Water’s strategic vision of Enhancing Life and Liveability.