Improving recreational access to the Creek
The Collaboration has received funding through the State Government Boosting Recreational Water Use Initiative to deliver a project to improve access and amenity along a section of the Moonee Ponds Creek in Essendon/Brunswick West.
Through a process of co-design and the support of landscape architects, Thompson Berrill Landscape Design, a draft landscape plan has been developed to support the project. Works proposed include:
- Removal of redundant cyclone fencing and improved access and path networks along the eastern side of the creek
- A shared path connection between Vanberg and Hopetoun Avenue (extending to Moreland Road)
- Installation of amenity infrastructure such as seats and signage
- Revegetation and soft landscaping
- Incorporation of Water Sensitive Urban Design/wetland opportunity to revitalise the old Melville Creek corridor.
The draft landscape plan was available for consultation between 22 July and 13 August 2019.
Feedback on the plan is currently being reviewed and will help finalise an implementation plan for delivery which will be available late September. It is anticipated on-ground works will commence in October/November 2019.